Wednesday 17 June 2015

The brighter side of adversity - cancer can help someone...

The brighter side of adversity

When I found out I had cancer I just wanted the d@mn thing out of me!  It didn't occur to me to be worried about my hair (until of course I was bald, but that's for another post!).  Initially, I used the hair loss as a wonderful fund-raising distraction.  Many of you participated in my "Cut and Cullen" campaign which raised a staggering $23,000 for Youth Off The Streets.  Who'd have thought that cutting off a pony tail could be so rewarding!

I am really pleased to tell you that all the funds have finally reached the charity (after some administrative hiccups with matched giving).  Last week I had the most humbling and inspirational conversation with one of the representatives from Youth Off The Streets (YOTS) which I wanted to share with you all....

The rep explained to me that their services are devoted to children 12-25 who are forced into homelessness by drug addiction, social isolation, neglect or abuse.  Kids who receive no family support, who are ridiculed by peers, who are 'written off' as dumb, no hopers or worse still, fall into criminal circles.  It is YOTS goal that these young people will leave their care drug free, with a high school education, with living skills and a job.  The kind of money we raised will completely change someone's life!

Can you imagine your home-life being so bad that your best option is to live in a car or worse still live on the streets...these are the options being faced by 14,15,16 year old children.  When I found out I was sick I wanted my Mum&Dad.  I wanted my Mum to hug me and my Dad "to fix it"...cause he fixes everything :)  I took for granted that they would both be there to help me, to hold me, to guide me.  These kids, when faced with their own problems, receive abuse from their parents.  The very people who are meant to protect and repair them, shatter their self esteem and physically hurt them.  

I've noticed an increase in beggars in Melbourne recently - is that because I'm now more aware or because there is a genuine increase?  And have I stopped to talk to one?!  Money can of course go along way, and sure I did my part to cut my hair off and donate to YOTS but I think it would be more powerful to have a conversation....so that's this week's goal.  Look up from that i-phone/i-Pad/i-pod and see the people who need to be seen!

No comments:

Post a Comment