Tuesday 2 June 2015

A natural diet, two small kids and an underlying addiction to chocolate!

One of the rather large obstacles with genuinely following through with this Earth Mother diet is children - I don't see too many kids running around the playground with kale chips, spinach wraps and grilled fish for lunch. They are not allowed to take nuts to school/care and for the little ones I think there is some leniency required by us parents to understand that their palettes are not quite as mature nor their jaws quite so strong. Having said that I very rarely cook a separate dinner for my children - they are served what we eat but with some minor kid-friendly alterations (if required) ie. remove the chili or finely dice the bok choy/spinach (which they unfortunately choke on). The one habit I'm really determined for them not to adopt is my psychological need to 'round out' lunch and dinner with something sweet. It is 100% an absolute HABIT - a psychological need that I've turned into a physiological necessity (or maybe it's the other way around?) which is SO difficult to break. So my kids now know - there's no dessert at our house...they can have it at Nan & Granddad's (most Tuesday nights). Overlaying all of this has to be some pragmatism...it seems wrong to me to have a low-carb or no dairy diet for children (unless there are allergies) and birthday parties are no fun if you're the child crying in the corner because you're not allowed cake. The newly introduced healthy eating pyramid is a great guide: http://www.nutritionaustralia.org/national/resource/healthy-living-pyramid

The three things I'm doing to help the family eat well are:

1. Hide - my kids happily eat spinach, celery, watercress or anything green if it's pulverised in a blender with a handful of frozen berries, a tablespoon of rice malt syrup and some milk (or OJ if you're a bit over the dairy). We have fun turning the drinks green or red or yellow (banana).

2. Slow Cook - the traditional roast, pulled pork, lamb shanks, paprika chicken...it's all so much easier to chew if it's been in the slow cooker (not to mention the fact you can add carrot, celery, tomatoes and yummy herbs to the sauces)

3. Make my own snacks - this has been a major hit and miss for me! I've tried:
a) 85% dark chocolate and zucchini brownies - too bitter for the kids, OK for the adults...the lack of sugar takes some getting use to
b) roasted nuts - too hard for the kids but yummy for the adults
c) my own muesli bars - moderate success with the kids but again quite good for the adults
d) coconut cream and mango ice-creams - pretty good
e) dipping fingers (carrots, celery, zucchini) with hummus or cream cheese - my daughter just shovels the dip in without taking a bite of any of the fingers!
f) Of course a piece of fruit is quick, convenient and usually consumed (particularly apples in our house!)

Would love to hear other people's ideas on snacks...any winners in your house?

No comments:

Post a Comment