Thursday 11 June 2015

Lycra, phones and boob jobs - the beating cancer combination?!

Lycra and the overheard conversation.

May I first start with an apology - I have succumbed to the lycra.  I'm not talking the 2XU or Skins type fluorescent striped leggings with coordinated bright orange Nikes....but, alas, it's still lyrca.  And what's worse (confession time)...they are magnificent -  comfortable, flexible and even helpful in reducing some movement.  

As I hang my head in shame at this first 'yuppification' I find myself drawn to my phone.   You see part of beating chemo fatigue is to get yourself out and about for 1/2 an hour a day to do some light exercise.  But my over-active, poorly disciplined mind sees that as 1/2 an hour I could be returning calls, helping a friend plan her engagement party, organising a babysitter, checking in on Mum etc. So that awful female habit of multi-tasking creeps in and I find myself the perpetrator of the annoyingly loud phone call as I trot around the park in my black leggings.  

And then it happens...I pass someone walking their dog whilst mid-sentence on the phone to a friend: "And then the surgeon said to me I'll have the best rack in the nursing home".  I start laughing but quickly stop when I realise this stranger is staring at me.  The yuppification process is complete, well at least in that stranger's eyes - they see lycra and hands-free cables and hear me laughing about my boob job.  

I feel a sudden urge to hang up the phone and tell this complete stranger that it's not exactly elective breast surgery!  But then, this is a stranger - how odd it would it be to engage in any conversation with them at all.   

Lessons learnt: 
(1) don't judge, there may be more to a person's story,
(2) lower my voice and pull the beanie down a little further

3 comments:

  1. Thanks - it was actually a bit embarrassing...but I seem to be a little gifted at that at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh very embarrassing but great story :)
    Really enjoying your blog, Sarah. You write so well, and on issues that really resonate with me at the moment. Take care x

    ReplyDelete