Friday 9 October 2015

Fighting for principles of respect, understanding and less lamb chops

I got a flyer in our mail today for the Animal Justice Party.  There's a beautiful photo on the front of a lamb and an adorable, inquisitive kitten on the back.  Awww.  Baby animals = Marketing 101, so I read on...

"The Animal Justice Party (AJP) has been established to provide a political platform for policies and practices that promote respect, kindness, compassion and understanding towards animals".  

Sounds perfect to me - as long as PEOPLE are part of their definition of animals.  Imagine it - a world where people respect differences, lead with compassion and strive to understand...I reckon animals of all breeds would do well!

Don't get me wrong, I entirely agree we should be respecting animals I just wonder if our compassion is a little warped when we'll help a cat but walk straight past a young girl living on the streets?   It's that uncomfortable feeling I get when I read Johnny Depp has spent $320,000 flying his pet dogs home via private jet.  I'm sorry but WTF Mr Depp!  But is it really Mr Depp's issue - we live in a world where that's OK.  We can feed and educate a child for $2 a day...how many kids did that private jet fee equate to??

It all comes back to balance - my favourite but seemingly unattainable goal.  There is no place in our world for animal cruelty, animal testing and in theory I love the idea of Veganism (don't seem to be able to execute that one).   But  I'm sure I've never heard of a kind, compassionate person mistreating an animal - seems like an oxymoron to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment