Tuesday 20 October 2015

Death of Kardashianism

We seem to live in a world controlled by the fear of anonymity.  More people than ever are striving to get their noggins on YouTube!  It doesn’t seem to matter if you have any particular talents or attributes – just get your face on YouTube, increase your Twitter followers and post pictures of your over-manufactured derriere on Instagram (or is it Snapchat or Pinterest?). 

So, besides sounding like a dinosaur that has no idea of the current ‘it’ digi channel, my point is I’m really fearful of the current reverence given to the likes of the Kardashians.  I understand and respect the worshiping of sporting heroes and movie stars.  After all they actually possess a talent and in many cases display an incredible level of skill.  But what are the Kardashians actually good at?  And are they so good at something that they deserve the ridiculous amount of money they earn?  Can they sing, dance, act, play tennis, football or run, can they drive social change, public policy or inspire women to get an education?

It’s not that I hate the Kardashians, I simply don’t get the fascination!  I don’t want my daughter growing up thinking the epitome of success is the latest Dolce & Gabbana handbag.  I don’t want her to think she needs a nose job, a bum implant and some over exposed cleavage to be heard (yes heard [not seen]).  I want her to admire someone intelligent, brave, kind, skilled, entertaining, humble or selfless – there are so many attributes I can think of that are admirable but not one of them fits the Kardashians.....

No comments:

Post a Comment