Friday 11 September 2015

KFC and gastro

On Thursday night my 2 year old daughter started throwing up about 4.30pm and continued to do so every half an hour.  By 7pm the poor little soul was exhausted and miserable and Mum couldn't take any more...so off to the hospital we went (I should mention, as I've noticed a few Americans have joined, that this service is free in Australia).

The staff were really kind, telling us there were several cases of gastro going around.  We were put in the "handle with gloves" bays and my daughter soon relaxed after some anti-nausea medication. I was super impressed with their non judgmental approach.  I was never made to feel like an "over reacting" Mum.   I was musing on this, when I overheard a doctor tell the family in the bay nextdoor to monitor their daughter's diet.

"No probs" said the Dad casually
The doctor went on to recommend "no dairy, lots of veggies and plenty of fluids....avoid soft drink" there was an almost pleading tone to the doctor's voice.

Soft drink!  Who on earth would give their child a can of Coke straight after a fit of Gastro?!  And it only got worse - when I walked past to leave I saw the child (maybe 6 or 7 years old) eating a big box of KFC.  When I saw this, all judgments left me and I was overwhelmed by a genuine sadness - where are our health and education systems failing that some people have so little nutritional understanding?  Or perhaps what is even more frustrating is that we've built a food supply chain that can sell a box of fat-covered chemicals at a much cheaper price than fresh food...

Now I'm no Saint - who doesn't enjoy a McDonald's chocolate sundae (sauce on the bottom and top thanks) every now and again.  And perhaps, just maybe, that is the only food option these parents had available to them.....?


2 comments:

  1. You should come to work with me for a day! I see these desperate families every day! Hope all is going ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I'd handle your job at all Shevy - I'd be in tears in the first hour....probably followed by some rather unladylike adjectives!

      Delete