Monday 10 August 2015

What TO DO for a friend who is sick

I have had the most overwhelming level of support from my family and friends, my work and even relative strangers following my cancer diagnosis.   I cannot imagine those poor souls that are forced to endure these experiences alone (makes me think [again!] about how I'm going to squeeze community service into this busy life!).  This support has taken many forms so I thought I'd share the most helpful....

My top tips for what TO DO to help:
1. Cook healthy dinners.
Isn't it funny that when someone is sick we have a strange desire to feed them something unhealthy (cakes, cookies, chocolates). Pre-cancer, I would have been the first to do this (as my chocoholic reputation would demand) now I understand that a good, healthy dinner is one of the most useful gifts someone can provide.  My beautiful mother's group have rotated this gift and once a week my family receives amazing dinners (from hearty beef & veggie casseroles to chicken & veggie pies).  Instead of going to the supermarket, cooking and cleaning I literally get a couple of hours back in my day where I can rest, recover and/or spend non chore based time with my children.  XoXo

2. Arrange play dates
(A) Kids.....compare (1) an afternoon with Mum who can't lift you for a cuddle, can't play footy, is slightly hazy given the drugs (OK-maybe that part could offer some entertainment!) and has turned into a bit of an anti-sugar tyrant versus (2) an afternoon with kids of a similar age where you can run, scream and load up on lard/sugar.
(B) Husband.....a day out at the footy could be just what the doctor ordered for this over-worked, under-paid but greatly appreciated Chief Support Officer!

3. Helpful gifts
I'm not talking about expensive presents.  I mean little gifts that practically support someone's recovery.  For example, my wonderful Mum knitted me a beanie in a particular colour I needed to match existing clothes, my gorgeous cousin found a 'funky' beanie, my thoughtful Auntie gave me a little glass jar to put a fresh flower in each day, a generous friend from work gave me a mindfulness book & diary and another kind friend gave me a special memento that helped her through a similar battle.  A very smart friend gave my husband some strong coffee beans to cope with being both Mum & Dad at night!

4.  Do some errands
A 'cancer-friend' (what a strange title!) told me about her support network which included someone going to the Organic Markets for her and another friend who collected the dry-cleaning/walked the dog/posted mail etc.  I haven't had as much need for this but it sounded super practical and helpful to me!

5.  Be yourself
Drop the awkward and have a laugh!

4 comments:

  1. I'm a member of a local food train group and we provide food and errands to locals in our area going through a hard time (lillness etc) very rewarding to help especially when we have one of the people we help later become a helper to others

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome idea and good on you! Is that through a particular charity or your local council?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was actually started buy 2/3 ladies in a cooking group I'm in on face book - bayside cooking hub ... The wanted to come up with a way our love of cooking can help peopleb

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's amazing...like you said, a terrific way to use your skills :)

    ReplyDelete