Tuesday 21 July 2015

Can relaxing your mind fuel your body? Meditation part #4

I can now tick off the list 'learn how to meditate'... I've officially completed a four day course with a highly (and 'traditionally') trained meditation expert (who I have affectionately named Dr Calm).

The course was one on one and was completed in her home.  It was intimidating and potentially useless if I didn't discard my judgements! As I walked into her apartment in an appropriately alternative suburb in Melbourne I was greeted with the smell of cats. I was asked to remove my shoes and was guided into a tiny little room with futon couch, waterfall pictures and burning incense.   The swish swish of her corduroy pants made me smile.

The flowers, fruit and white cloth I was asked to bring were all used in an ancient ceremony that empowered Dr Calm to find my mantra.  She whispered a strange word in my ear three times - this was my mantra, this was my invitation to the world of meditating...  And to counterbalance the growing image of levitating monks from your mind, I must admit Dr Calm also spent a substantial amount of time explaining the science behind and physical benefits of meditation, including sharing some referral success stories she had been involved with in psychiatric patients.

Now it is up to me - I can dismiss her and her teachings as mumbo jumbo or I can give it a go.  There seems little downside to me.  Twice a day for 20 minutes I get to have a space where no demands are placed on me physically or mentally.  No bums to wipe, no tears and tantrums to placate, no reports to write, no future plans to make.  A growing awareness of my body and a blossoming appreciation for the here and now.  It's all good - so what's stopping me....NO, don't say it!!  I'm too busy to... How am I going to find 20minutes twice a day?!

1 comment:

  1. You need support for it, that's for sure. We started out twice a day (before baby) and James was the ring-leader: "Come on, it's time to meditate." Post-baby, I have a different way of doing it. James bathes the baby then puts him in bed, then I have a bath... undisturbed for 25 minutes. It helps.

    ReplyDelete