Saturday 2 May 2015

Money, Money, Money

This should be the easiest section for me to write about. I am, after all, an Accountant by trade. No, STOP! Don't go! Please suspend your judgment. I have long since thrown out the dark pin-striped suits and tax-rebate fist pumps (homage to Irene) and found my way to greener pastures. Remarkably, I've found a job that combines my 'structured' background with an 'inspiring' sustainability focus but more on that later... Let's get back to some stats.

From what I've read lately Australia has a 40% marriage failure rate, 50 million Americans live below the poverty line and working mothers in Britain spend just 81 minutes each day looking after their children. And so, in this zombie-like pursuit of the beloved dollar/pound/yen/peso/yuan/rupee we're OK with our marriages failing, our neighbours starving, our parents working harder and rarely seeing our children?! Surely we've got our buckets muddled. One may be burgeoning but to what advantage?

Don't get me wrong I'm not about to give up my nice house to join a tree hugging nudist colony in Nimbin but Cancer has forced me to think about "what's next?". Do I really need a new car or an investment property? Perhaps I'll take my family to the Whitsundays instead - sail around pristine waters, stopping occasionally to admire the beautiful white sandy beaches or fill up my mojito. But, Sarah you say...a holiday still requires mullah. And right you are!

The unfortunate reality is everyone needs money and no doubt everyone needs "more money". Whilst I'm no Rupert Murdoch or Gina Rinehart I'm comfortable so, for what it's worth, here are my five tips to filling the bucket of prosperity....

1. Set goals
2. Do a budget
3. Swap, share, borrow, make
4. Find cheap stuff - wait for sales, ask for a discount, do your research
5. Find an expert - it's OK if this stuff is boring, leave it to the suits!

No comments:

Post a Comment