Friday 8 May 2015

A little rhino horn with your chemo?

I have recently been to see an 'Integrated Medicine' doctor (a medical doctor who also looks at the benefits of'alternative' therapies - diet, supplements, mindfulness etc). Now I know I'll loose a few of you straight away - in fact I read a scathing article by an American doctor recently which severely critisized the introduction of "such quackery" into the medical field. But for me, the concept of integration is intriguing and not just from a health perspective.

In my first post "About Me" I spoke about dichotomies...and how sad I think it is that we can't at least listen to opposing arguments. There is a perceived weakness in changing your position - but if you have more information, more examples is it not intelligent to at least modify your position? We've divided our world East/West, Rich/Poor, Science/Alternative Therapies, Muslim/Christian, Left-wing/Right-wing. Perhaps we've even structured ourselves to need those opposing sides - can we have rich without poor? Anyway, I've digressed...

For me, I'll be looking at everything to make me healthy (within the limits of decency - I won't be grinding the horn of a nearly extinct rhino!) and so, back on topic, the Integrated Doctor told me some life altering news "Cancer loves sugar". Is it a fete worse than chemo - a life without chocolate?! I know, I know I shouldn't make light of cancer but for those of you that know me (a twice a day chocoholic) this is a seriously large alternation.

After recovering from the first shock, I was then told:
1. drink two litres of water a day - that's 'do-able'
2. sleep eight hours each night - good luck with that given I have two little ones that have some secret pact to alternate their restless nights
3. have eight (yes EIGHT) different supplements - because I need to be putting more things in my body?!
4. meditate twice a day for 10 minutes...I'm sorry, could you repeat that last one. Meditate twice a day for 10 minutes. Do I look like a monk?

Wow - I have some homework to do. Anyone got some good sugar-free recipes? And any chance I could borrow half an hour to learn how to meditate!

3 comments:

  1. I know a good meditation course, but I know you have no time. But anyway! Worth mentioning. It takes about 3 sessions, e.g. you go on the Friday night, then Saturday night, then Sunday night. Then you have learned it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great - definitely pass on the info...I'll check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's her link -- apologies, it's 4 sessions, not 3. I never thought I'd be able to meditate, but I really wanted to be a low-stress person (especially a low-stress parent) so I finally decided to give it a real go and paid for this course. It worked for me (and James).

    http://www.kaydysonmeditation.com.au

    ReplyDelete