Thursday 30 April 2015

About Me

I'm Too Busy To...

I hear that expression a lot - I'd love to take up (insert hobby here) if I had the time. Or maybe you've heard "I don't have time to go the gym/cook my own meals/catch up with friends/drive Dad to the dentist..." . It's not until life throws a cannon ball in your lap that you're forced to reprioritise what you do and don't have time for. Well my cannon ball is Breast Cancer!

I'm 38 years old and have 2 beautiful little children under 5. I'm blessed with a fun, kind husband who can't resist watching, reading about, participating in and teaching sport. I am a daughter, a sister, a friend and try my hardest to be a good employee (the bills need paying after all). I am a pragmatic environmentalist and wish everyday I could do more for my community. So after my son's footy, my daughter's sleepless nights, my husband's marathon training, my veggie patch pruning, the house cleaning, my boss' reports, the sausage sizzle and the infrequent night out to remind myself of life pre-kids, I have NO TIME to fight cancer!

Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it. That should be all I'm doing. But life doesn't work like that...we've structured ourselves to 'need' two incomes, organic food, resilient children, investment properties, mindfulness, low carbon footprints and euphoric happiness. But as we fill the bucket of prosperity do we drain the bucket of happiness?

Why is it that dichotomies work so well in our society? You can only 'believe in' Western medicine not alternative therapies or vise versa. Mutual exclusivity is totally illogical to me. Why can't we take the best from both?! I will try everything and anything to fight cancer and somehow I'm going to do that while balancing all the little buckets of my life!

I'll be having my cake and looking at it too. I can't actually eat it given "Cancer loves sugar" - doesn't it?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,
    I've been meaning to contact you since Tasha told me about your diagnosis. Another good friend of mine has was diagnosed late last year and is halfway through her treatment.
    We are thinking of you and sending strength, resilience and love (coated all with a thin vale of chocolate)!
    All our love Dean and June xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much June xox. It's really scary and sad how common the diagnosis is - so many people have told me about their Mum, their sister, their friend 😓... At the moment I'm just holding on for the ride but this blog and the amazing strength of other survivors has me thinking it's a great chance to set the balance right!! Hope to see you soon, S xo

      Delete